Buying vintage and second hand from a jumble sale.
Here is our guide to going to a jumble sale:
- Go early 15 to 30 minutes before opening and queue. Great fun to talk to the other jumblers. Also the best bargains get snapped up quickly, so get in early
- Take a load of change. You want to give the right change as the sellers may have trouble finding change. Many items can be brought for as little as 5p up to 50p or more
- Have a few bags (plastic or a re-usable one) for your finds. Often there are bags available, but some sales seem to forget.
- A jumble sale can get very crowded and busy. Please don't take a small child in a push chair into a sale and expect to have a relaxed buy. For one, you can not get to the tables and I have almost fallen over a pushchair before now. Children get frightened and fretful when all they can see is legs and loads of people. If you have a little one, take someone else to look after them. They can go to the refreshment tables, sit and have tea or fruit juice and the pick of some scrummy home made cakes. Don't leave them at home as children learn through experience. Older children can be given some pocket money and they will have great fun finding and buying on their own. Usually what you gave away last week!!
- Some sales can be manic, many people all trying to get to the tables to look. Wait patiently just behind and soon they will move on and you can get in. Or walk around the room. There is usually parts that are not so crowded and easier to look.
- Check what you are buying for size, any repairs needed or buttons missing. You can always repair, change buttons and even re - fashion or do a GOK! on many clothes.
- Looking for curtains or other soft furnishings. Measure before and don't forget to take the measurements with you. They are no good on the kitchen table. Also take a tape measure. Many sales will have one, but they are often in use. I am always amazed at the nearly new or new curtains, covers and bed linen given to jumble sales. My daughter picked up a brand new touch control table lamp.... for 50p
- If you are into sewing, craft, making or patchwork. Jumbles are a must. Where else are so many different materials available for a small amount of money. Just use your creative imagination.
- Don't forget - have fun. A great way to spend a Saturday morning or afternoon. Finished buying. Treat yourself to a cupper - and don't forget all those home made cakes that are usually available